In respect of recent news reports on the issue of the Soca Monarch Show and two artistes who have declared their reservations to participate in the Show, the CDC wishes to state that:
- It is unfortunate that this issue has arisen at this point in time. Discussions regarding Appearances Fees and Prize monies had already been addressed earlier in the year, with all the Components of Carnival, including Soca Artistes. It was understood and agreed that it is not feasible to increase Prize monies at this time. It would be irresponsible and unfair for the CDC to now undertake to increase Prize monies to a single Component ONLY. It was also agreed that this particular matter can be carried over into discussions for 2013.
- However, the imbalance of Appearance Fees would be addressed presently, so that the Soca Artistes Appearance Fees would come in line with those awarded to Calypso Artistes at the Finals. The income base for the CDC has not increased for the last three years; therefore it would be unrealistic to make offers of increments in Prize monies under the circumstances.
- While we understand the expenditure which is undertaken by some artistes in the production for their performances, practical financial planning must be undertaken by all, so that we function within the limitations which exist in general.
- The CDC has a responsibility to manage and develop Carnival as a whole, and though it is quite obvious that the Soca Monarch Show is much better patronized than a number of our other Shows, we must always consider the VINCY MAS Festival in its entirety – including the development of the infrastructure and innovations. The marketing and promotion of VINCY MAS which helps to build the momentum to all Shows including Soca Monarch is handled by the CDC in collaboration with the Tourism Authority. This has costs.
- The CDC applauds the efforts of all Soca artistes as well as the other Components. We seek to continue to work harmoniously and constructively with each of them to bring VINCY MAS to the level to which it has risen and aspires to further the growth of the Festival.
Soca Monarch Artistes interested in participating in this year “Soca Monarch Competition” organized by the Carnival Development Corporation are asked to note that the deadline for Registration has been extended to Thursday 21st June 2012.
Auditions would be held on the same day at the Victoria Park 6:00 pm. All registration forms must be accompanied by a copy of the Song on a CD, which should be ready for airplay.
CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION